Moving WHMCS Firewall
When you move your WHMCS Firewall module, if the domain, IP or directory you use it in is changing then you will need to have your license updated. How this is done depends upon the license you have. There are 2 different scenarios as below.
1. You purchased your license directly from WHMCSFirewall.com
If this is the case then you are able to reissue your license from our client area @ https://secure.whmcsfirewall.com/ without any manual intervention from us. Just login, go to Services > Licenses & Services, select your license key and click Reissue under the Management Actions tab – then visit your WHMCS installation in the new location and it will save the new valid access details for it.
2. You got your license from a WHMCS Firewall Partner
If this is the case then you won’t be able to reissue your license from our client area because the domain and IP are not allowed to change. We can perform directory updates for you by simply opening a ticket and including your license key and the new directory name but any domain name or IP changes have to be authorized by your host/Partner that gave you the License Key.
Moving WHMCS Firewall is just as straight forward as moving WHMCS:
- Take a backup of your database.
- Transfer the files across to the new server.
- Restore the database via phpmyadmin on the new server.
- You’ll then need to reissue your license as described above.
- Login to your WHMCS admin and make sure the WHMCS Firewall module is enabled.
- Check that your cron jobs are modified accordingly.
- Finally, delete the WHMCS Firewall module files and cron jobs from the old location.
Changing the License Key WHMCS Firewall uses
Is licensing dependent on whmcsFirewall.com being online?
No. WHMCS Firewall uses a local key licensing system with periodic remote verification checks. What this means is that once every “X” days (varies depending on your license), your WHMCS Firewall module will contact our licensing server to ensure it is being run in the correct location and that the license is still valid. Your WHMCS Firewall module still functioning is not dependent on our licensing server being online during the time the local key is valid.
Should our licensing server be down on the day your next verification check is due then the system will allow up to “X” days (varies depending on your license) for a connection to be made. If after this time, the system is still unable to verify your license with our licensing server then your WHMCS Firewall admin will become inactive until it can contact our server again.
Your WHMCS Firewall security and auditing will always remains functional even if you have an invalid or expired license to ensure your protection is not interrupted.
No Connection Error
A No Connection error on the admin login page suggests there is a problem preventing your server from communicating with the WHMCS Firewall licensing server. This is commonly a CURL or DNS resolution problem, these are essential items in the use of WHMCS Firewall and is something your server admin will need to investigate and correct.
- CURL – CURL is an extremely important part of WHMCS Firewall and is needed for a number of the operations performed such as API connections etc.
- DNS – DNS is a vital part of internet functionality in order to be able to resolve hostnames of servers, domain name lookups, and licensing. Ensure your DNS resolve whmcsfirewall.com to the correct IP address.
A Licence Invalid error on the admin login page can be caused by one of the following changes:
- The license key has been entered incorrectly
Please ensure the full key is entered, this includes the prefix eg. “Leased-“, “Owned-“, “Trial-” and “Ent-“.
- The domain being used to access your install has changed
- The IP address your install is located on has changed
- The directory you are using has changed
Following any changes to the location of your WHMCS Firewall installation, the licence must be updated accordingly.